1850

William Footner, arrived in Canada in 1838, first settled in Sherbrooke and moved to Montréal in 1840. In 1844, he wins the competition that will make him the principal contractor for the new market in Montréal.

Unattributed
McGill University

1850

Mary Ann Pardey, wife of William Footner (married on August, 7 1825 in St Pancras Church in London, England)

Unattributed
McGill University, excerpt from Bonsecours Market and its Historical Site

1852

Montréal seen from Île Sainte-Hélène

James Duncan (1806-1881)
© McCord Museum

1852

Marché Bonsecours and city hall

John Henry Walker (1831-1899)
© McCord Museum

1855

Marché Bonsecours, winter scene

James Duncan (1806-1881)
© McCord Museum

1859

Seen from Montréal looking eastward from Notre-Dame church tower

William Notman (1826-1891)
© McCord Museum

1859

Marché Bonsecours, rue des Commissaires

William Notman (1826-1891)
© McCord Museum

1865

In front of the Marché Bonsecours

William Notman (1826-1891)
© McCord Museum

1870

Le Marché Bonsecours on Christmas Eve

Unattributed
© McCord Museum

1870

Marché Bonsecours and wharfs

Alexander Henderson
© Musée McCord

1870

Marché Bonsecours, rue Saint-Paul

Alexander Henderson
© Musée McCord

1870

Ice jam

postcard
ANQ, coll. E.Z. Masicotte 2-179-f

1873

Ice break-up in front of city hall (Marché Bonsecours)

Alexander Henderson
© Musée McCord

1875

The Terrebonne steamboat and Marché Bonsecours, Montréal harbour

James George Parks
© McCord Museum

1875

Marché Bonsecours

William Notman (1826-1891)
© Musée McCord

1880

Looking at Montréal from the harbour

postcard
ANQ, coll. E.Z. Masicotte 2-188-d

1884

Marché Bonsecours

Wm. Notman & Son
© McCord Museum

1886

Flood on rue des Commissaires

unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1888

Residence of Sir John Johnson on rue Saint-Paul – Site of Marché Bonsecours

Henry Richard S. Bunnett
© McCord Museum

1890

Market day on Place Jacques-Cartier

Wm. Notman & Son
© McCord Museum

1890

Market day on Place Jacques-Cartier

postcard
ANQ

1890

Montréal harbour

postcard
ANQ, coll. E.Z. Masicotte 2-179-b

1890

Market day on Place Jacques-Cartier

postcard
ANQ, coll. E.Z. Masicotte 1-18-a

1890

Market day on Place Jacques-Cartier

postcard
ANQ, coll. E.Z. Masicotte 1-7-c

1895

Harbour and Marché Bonsecours, rue des Commissaires

Unattributed
© McCord Museum

1900

Montréal harbour viewed from Bonsecours church

Wm. Notman & Son
© McCord Museum

1900

Place Jacques-Cartier in the winter

postcard
ANQ

1900

Place Jacques-Cartier in the winter

postcard
ANQ

1900

View from city hall’s tower

postcard
ANQ, coll. E.Z. Masicotte 1-7-c

1904

Marché Bonsecours

Wm. Notman & Son
© McCord Museum

1904

On rue des Commissaires

postcard
ANQ

1910

Le marché Bonsecours

postcard
ANQ

1910

Marché Bonsecours and Bonsecours church

Unattributed
© McCord Museum

1915

Vendor stands on rue St-Paul

postcard
ANQ

1920

On certain days, more than a thousand farmers gather around the market to sell their products. The market would then spread over to the Champ de Mars behind city hall.

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1920

Place Jacques-Cartier and the Nelson monument

Postcard
ANQ

1925

Corner of Marché Bonsecours and des Commissaires (de la Commune) streets

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1938

Inside the hall used by the farmers

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1940

Corner of Marché Bonsecours and St-Paul streets

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1940

Corner of Bonsecours and St-Paul streets

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1940

Rue des Commissaires (de la Commune)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1940

Main entrance on rue St-Paul

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1940

Market day, Place Jacques-Cartier

Wm. Notman & Son
© McCord Museum

1948

Dome center – butchers’ floor (plan 1)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Dome center – butchers’ floor (plan 2)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Dome center at the mezzanine level

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Exterior façade, central part

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Center of the rotunda , at the level of the halls (plan 1)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Center of the rotunda , at the level of the halls (plan 2)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Main entrance at the levels of the halls used by the farmers

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Center of the rotunda, wall towards the roof

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Central staircase (plan 1)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Central staircase (plan 2)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Center of the rotunda, at the butchers’ level (plan 3)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Exterior façade, east

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Exterior façade, west

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1948

Central entrance from the outside

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1950

Main entrance, rue St-Paul

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1950

At the corner of Bonsecours and des Commissaires (de la Commune) streets

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1950

Rue des commissaires (de la commune)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1950

Rue St-Paul

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1950

Entrance on rue des Commissaires (de la Commune)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1950

Farmers must come early in the morning to Place Jacques-Cartier to secure a prime location (plan 1)

Unattributed
Association des jardiniers et des maraîchers du Québec

1950

Farmers must come early in the morning to Place Jacques-Cartier to secure a prime location (plan 2)

Unattributed
Association des jardiniers et des maraîchers du Québec

1960

Hall used by the farmers

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1960

Main entrance, # 2 silo in the background

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1960

At the corner of St-Paul and Bonsecours streets

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1960

At the corner of St-Paul and Bonsecours streets

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1960

View from Gosford tunnel

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1960

At the corner of Marché Bonsecours and des Commissaires (rue de la Commune) streets

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1960

At the corner of Marché Bonsecours and des Commissaires (rue de la Commune) streets

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1963

The main entrance before the renovations

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1963

Firewall of the east entrance of the attic

Gunars Janitens
McGill University

1963

Staircase that formerly gave access so city hall (west pavilion)

Gunars Janitens
McGill University

1963

Last market days in the 3rd floor halls (plan 1)

Gunars Janitens
McGill University

1963

Last market days in the 3rd floor halls (plan 2)

Gunars Janitens
McGill University

1963

3rd floor, east pavilion before the demolition

Gunars Janitens
McGill University

1963

2nd floor, east pavilion before the demolition

Gunars Janitens
McGill University

1963

At the corner of Marché Bonsecours and St-Paul streets

Gunars Janitens
McGill University

1963

At the corner of Marché Bonsecours and St-Paul streets

Gunars Janitens
McGill University

1963

Rue des Commissaires (de la Commune)

Gunars Janitens
McGill University

1963

Butcher shops’ level

Gunars Janitens
McGill University

1963

The fruit market in the east pavilion

Gunars Janitens
Bonsecours Market and its Historical Site
McGill University

1964

3rd level during the renovations

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1964

3rd level during the renovations (plan 1)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1964

3rd level during the renovations (plan 2)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1964

Renovation of the east pavilion (plan 1)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1964

Renovation of the east pavilion (plan 2)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1965

Before replacing the dome in 1965

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1965

Restoration of the cobbled roadway, rue St-Paul

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1965

Replacement of the dome following the 1948 fire (plan1)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1965

Replacement of the dome following the 1948 fire (plan1)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1966

Rue St-Paul after the 1964-1965 renovations

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1976

Marché Bonsecours during the Olympic Games

Postcard
ANQ

1976

Replacement of the dome following the July 30, 1976 fire (plan 1)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1976

Replacement of the dome following the July 30, 1976 fire (plan 2)

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1978

Aerial view following the dome replacement

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

1978

Destruction of #2 silo in front of Marché Bonsecours

Unattributed
Ville de Montréal archives

0
0
0
0
0 0 0 0
0
0
0
0
0 0 0 0